Adult Basic Literacy Education Advisor 1
Do you have experience administering grant-funded adult basic education programing? Join our team of adult basic education advisors and put that experience to use ensuring high-quality adult basic education programs that support commonwealth residents to achieve their personal, educational, and career goals.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS VACANCY POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE A SCORE. YOUR SCORE IS ONLY VALID FOR THIS SPECIFIC VACANCY. ONCE THIS POSITION IS FILLED, YOUR SCORE IS NO LONGER VALID.
- Full-time employment
- Must be willing to travel. Travel expenses will be paid
- This position requires regular overnight and multi-day travel mostly within Pennsylvania and occasionally to Washington, D.C.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
As an adult basic education advisor 1, you will work with adult basic education programs receiving federal and state funds through the Division of Adult Education. Our goal is to ensure the highest quality programing that leads to successful outcomes for all commonwealth residents attending the programs.
You will work closely with your assigned agencies to monitor and evaluate their activities. You will conduct ongoing review and monitoring of all assigned programs for compliance with federal and state policies, procedures, guidelines, laws, statutes, and regulations. This includes on-site monitoring visits, desk monitoring, and ongoing review of program data, especially as the data relate to evidence of quality programing and positive outcomes for adult students and evidence of the need for program improvement or corrective action. You will work with program staff to find solutions to problems of compliance with state and federal requirements, respond to questions and issues related to division programs and initiatives, and provide technical assistance to improve programing and services.
Advisors also fully participate in the annual review and revision of policies and guidelines and in the annual grant application process, including identifying priorities, providing technical assistance, and reviewing submitted applications. Advisors work as a team to ensure that everyone is providing the same information and support to the field.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
- Must meet PA residency requirement
- Minimum Experience and Training Requirements – Four years of professional experience in the field of adult basic or literacy education, including one year in an administrative capacity; and a bachelor’s degree; OR an equivalent combination of experience and training which includes one year of administrative experience in adult basic or literacy education
- Knowledge of and experience with adult basic and literacy education programs including new developments, significant curriculum, instructional and assessment materials, and research that exists regarding programs and program development
- Knowledge of and experience with the analysis of grant-related data and provision of technical assistance and guidance to local programs on the administration of program grants and contracts
- Must be able to perform essential job functions
Veterans: Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, visit the Commission’s website, Job Seekers page, for Veterans; visit one of our offices; or contact us at email@example.com.EXAMINATION INFORMATION
- Score valid for this specific posting only
- Score based on information reported on application and supplemental questions
- Provide complete and accurate information or:
- score may be lower than deserved
- application processing may be delayed
- disqualification may result
- May only test once under this announcement
- Email notice of test results provided
- Only most recent exam score is counted
Further information on testing, assistance for persons with disabilities, veterans’ preference, and other items can be obtained from:
Harrisburg: 2nd Level, Strawberry Sq. Complex, 320 Market St., P.O. Box 569, Hbg., 17108-0569; Telephone (717) 783-3058
Philadelphia: 110 North 8th St., Suite 503, Phila., 19107; Telephone (215) 560-2253
Pittsburgh: 411 Seventh Ave., Room 410, Pgh., 15219; Telephone (412) 565-7666
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS): 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)