On Monday, November 23, Governor Wolf signed a spending plan for the remainder of the fiscal year that includes the 2019/2020 level of funding for the full year!
The Advocacy Committee of PAACE wants you to know that your advocacy efforts made a difference!
Our strategy was to meet with our elected officials in Harrisburg and to ask our students to tell their senators and representatives about the impact of adult and family literacy education in their lives.
Letters of support
PAACE members reached out to their senators and representatives to ask them to send a letter to their caucus chairs in support of adult and family literacy education.
Thank you to all of the administrators who have attended meetings and asked for letters of support.
- Tim Shenk, Lancaster-Lebanon IU 13 Community Education
- Jenny Bair, Literacy and Learning Success Centers (Lancaster/Lebanon)
- Mike Vail, Penn State University
- Diane Schlosser, Goodwill of Southern Allegheny
- Susan Clauser from Keystone Opportunity Center
- Melinda Arcuri from Marywood College
- Cheryl Hiester, Literacy Success
- Michael Westover, 1199C Training & Upgrading Fund
- Carey Harris, Literacy Pittsburgh
- Elizabeth Wilson, IU5
- Kathleen Bentley, Perry County Literacy Council
- Jeff Woodyard, OIC
- Kathy Monko, IU 28
- Sharon Hagenberger, IU 12
Thank you to all of the representatives and senators who provided those letters of support and advocated on our behalf:
- Senator Martin
- Senator Williams
- Senator Barlotta
- Senator Laughlin
- Senator Lovino
- Senator Blake
- Representative Davis
- Representative Sturla
- Representative Brooks
Thank you to everyone who helped our students send letters! Agency or County Number of Student Letters or emails
There were 156 advocates, 508 emails sent to 93 recipients. Plus, more than 250 letters sent through the US Mail! This is the latest count but keep in mind that I didn’t hear from everyone so there could be more letters that were sent.
- Penn State 85
- IU 13 (Lancaster/Lebanon Counties) 60
- Literacy Pittsburgh (Allegheny/Beaver Counties) 72
- Literacy and Learning Success Centers (Lancaster/Lebanon Counties) 80
- District 1199 C (Philadelphia) 23
- Butler County 3
- Beaver County 3
- Perry County 1
- IU 12 and The Literacy Council of York, Adams County Literacy Council and Franklin County Literacy Council 5
- Cumberland County 2
- Somerset County 2
- Westmoreland County 3
- Washington County 2
- Lehigh County 2
- Northumberland County 1
- Delaware County 4
- Montgomery County 3
Thank you for all your hard work!
Be sure to thank your representatives and senators for funding Adult and Family Literacy Education.
or on the Thank You icon below to send a thank you through Educate and Elevate.
We now begin the work of advocacy for the 2020/21 budget. Keeping up the chatter about Adult and Family Literacy Education made a difference – let’s keep up the chatter!